1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter (3/4 cup)
1/2 cup white sugar
2 Tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins (these are optional, it's great with or without them)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9-10 inch tube pan.
* Do not use a pan with a removable bottom! The sugar mixture gets extremely hot and can burn hands if it leaks out during handling. I used one that leaked the tiniest bit while baking. The hot sugar mixture dripped onto my oven's heating element, causing it to break and ignite the sugar sauce. I've used a bundt pan safely and without affecting the finished monkey bread ever since that happened. *
2. Mix white sugar and cinnamon in a medium sized plastic bag. Cut the biscuits into halves or quarters and place six to eight biscuit pieces in the sugar cinnamon mix. Shake well.
3. Arrange pieces in the bottom of the greased pan. Continue layering until all the biscuit pieces are coated and in the pan. If you are using raisins, place them among the biscuit pieces as you are layering.
4. In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the brown sugar over medium heat. Boil for 1 minute. Pour over the layered biscuits.
5. Bake for 35 minutes. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a plate. Pull apart and enjoy!