- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups shredded leftover chicken
- 2 cups leftover roasted root vegetables, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 1 large egg white, beaten
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 425°. Roll out puff pastry to 1/4-inch thick, and cut into 4 (6-inch) rounds to fit over 1-cup ovenproof bowls. Keep pastry covered and chilled.
2. Heat butter and oil in a medium saucepan over moderate heat; add flour, and cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Add the milk in a slow stream while whisking constantly; bring the mixture to a simmer. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in next 6 ingredients (through pepper). Spoon mixture into ovenproof bowls. Top bowls with pastry, pressing against the outside edge of the bowls to seal. Place a sage leaf on top of pastry, and brush with egg white.
3. Bake pot pies on a baking sheet in middle of oven for 17 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Serve hot.