- Place a 7 1/2-quart enameled cast-iron pot over medium heat; melt butter. Add onions and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons salt; cover, and cook until onions have heated through and started to steam. Uncover and reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, until amber and cooked down, about 3 hours. Season with pepper.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet and transfer to oven. Let dry completely, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add 6 cups water to pot with onions; increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Immediately reduce heat to low. Add sherry; season with salt and pepper. Add a splash of vinegar, if desired, to cut sweetness. For more depth of flavor add a splash of red wine, if desired.
- Preheat broiler. Divide soup evenly among 4 to 6 ovenproof bowls; top with toasted bread. Divide cheese evenly among bowls. Transfer bowls to broiler; broil until cheese is melted and browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Shared Kitchens of Tampa wants you to stay warm with this great recipe....have a great weekend and enjoy the Daytona 500!!
Hello and welcome to the Shared Kitchens of Tampa blog. My name is Ben and I run the kitchen. Feel free to email me anytime to schedule a tour or with any questions. Thank you for visiting. Let's Cook!!